08 February 2012

Let the Sunshine in!

It's official!  We have windows.  I love how they turned out.  I was hoping for a Craftsman style look, and they are perfect.


Mr. Pickup and I installed a few along the back and in the basement last Thursday, and then recruited some help to put in the larger ones and finished things up on Saturday.
It was awfully frosty cold, but at least the weather was clear.


Here's the house at the end of the day.  Now we just need some doors.


I was really pleased with how well the basement windows went in.  Once caulked, they look like they are seamlessly apart of the window opening.


The front windows have a craftsman window grid pattern of six panes over one.  I wish we could have done all the windows, but that was a little too much for the budget.


To install the windows, we had to prep the outer house with wrap, and then caulk around the opening.  The window is then set in the opening and adjusted from the bottom with shims to make sure it is level, square and plum.  Then, we used screws to fasten the window in place, and then added ice and water shield (the black layer) for additional water proofing.


The front windows for the great room are my favorite.  They are three windows mulled together.  (More energy efficient that way).  I still love the view they frame, too.


One really neat feature are the grids in the windows.  They are sculptured to look more like a divided window, although it is really a single pane.


Here's the dining area, looking into the laundry room.


This week, we're framing the walls that have to meet up with the vaulted trusses, and finishing up framing in the basement so that we can be ready for the plumber and the HVAC guys to rough in the pipes and duct work, and for us to begin installing the electrical system.  Now that the house is dried in, things should really start to speed up.  Hopefully we'll be ready for insulation be mid March.

15 happy thoughts:

Design Esquire said...

It's looking great, and I'm glad that things are moving along faster now for you. I love the windows you chose - and that view is just breath taking.

Melissa said...

Beautiful windows - to frame a gorgeous view - good for you.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hooray!!! You're really making big progress, Chris! Well done!! I'm SO pleased for you - and it's lovely seeing all your plans coming together.

Sarahx

Unknown said...

Wow! Check you out! You are totally rocking it! I'm so excited to be your newest follower! I'm totally loving knowing about your blog! Thanks for your sweet note earlier and I'd LOVE to have you share the "love" when you visit next! I'm off to explore and be inspired! We're in the midst of renovating our 1950s house!

XO, Aimee

Unknown said...

It's so exciting seeing it slowly come together. I hope it all keeps going to schedule!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Looking good, Chris! And I have to agree with you on the view :)

Unknown said...

must be so nice to check the windows off the list. you guys are just so knowledgeable, it's crazy. can you come build me a new house once you're done with yours?

i helped install a window once. one window. we should do all the rest in our house very soon. someday perhaps...

Tiffany said...

You really can't beat that view!

Mandy said...

That is awesome!! What a great thing for your family!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

You have a stunning vista!!! Those windows are beautiful, if there was one thing I could change about my home it would be the windows (not enough!). I love the layout - wishing you good weather to complete your home.

Stephanie said...

Oh I love the window view! It's going to go so fast now! I am excited for you guys.

Unknown said...

I love how everything is coming along! The windows look great! I'm so excited for you!

Andy said...

Wow - How exciting! I love the windows you chose too!

chris said...

@MandyThanks, Mandy. We're really excited.

chris said...

@AshleighThanks, Ash. It's finally becoming real. :)

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...